Transform your financial habits to prepare for the future
Your 50s are a good time to take stock of the asset allocation of your portfolio and evaluate your position relative to your retirement plans. For an accurate estimate, consider at what age you would like to retire and the lifestyle you plan to have… will you travel, have a vacation home, take up an expensive hobby? Project a budget, keeping in mind that some costs, such as health insurance, may increase and others, like your mortgage payment, may disappear. Once you have estimated your living expenses, then estimate how much your assets will be worth at retirement, and how long they are likely to last. You can do this with First NBC Bank’s retirement calculator. Also estimate your Social Security income. With all this information at hand, you may want to increase your retirement contributions.
As you enter your 60s, fine-tune your projections and your asset allocations. If you retire before age 65, be sure you have medical insurance to cover you until you are eligible for Medicare.
First NBC Bank can help you in your pre-retirement lifestage to re-allocate your assets, increase IRA contributions or set up a Trust. Please contact one of our Relationship Bankers for more information.
Here are some ways First NBC Bank can help pre-retirees enhance their financial position:
1. Take advantage of our interest-bearing checking account, and conserve time, money and paper by utilizing First NBC Bank’s convenient online banking and bill pay, and no-annual-fee debit cardmore
Premier Checking Now – A full service account that offers the added benefit of earning interest and has the advantage of relationship pricing.
Convenience Services – Our Convenience Services will reduce the time it takes to balance your checkbook, pay your bills, and make purchases, and you’ll save on the expense of printed paper checks and postage while helping the environment as well.
2. Catch up on your IRA or other retirement planmore
After age 50, you are qualified to boost your plans with “catch-up” contributions. Contact one of our Relationship Bankers for more details.
3. Establish an estate plan and/or trustmore
First NBC Bank’s Trust Services can help you plan for the special needs of your children, aging parents, the responsibilities of higher education, and more. Our trust professionals can help you in the areas of trust administration and estate planning to grow your assets, save on taxes, and protect and manage your property. A lifetime of hard work and savings often results in the creation of significant personal wealth. We are ready to help answer any questions regarding your financial future.
4. Rent a safe deposit boxmore
A convenient place to safeguard important assets that would be difficult or impossible to replace. Safe deposit boxes offer privacy, and in most cases greater security than keeping your valuables and important documents elsewhere.
Tips for Effective Financial Management:
- Become aware of opportunities to reduce your lifestyle costs, e.g., downsizing vehicles or your home may provide convenience while lowering the costs and time of maintenance.
- Determine your financial priorities, make a list with deadlines and start accomplishing them.
- Start the decision-making process about where you want to live during retirement and figure all the associated costs.
- Spend time doing what you plan to do at retirement to help yourself determine if you’re ready.
Some Financial Calculators for Empty Nesters...
Our calculators can help you determine what you need to achieve your goals and stay on budget.
For help determining the best accounts and products for sound and productive money management during your Pre-Retirement Lifestage, contact a First NBC Bank Relationship Banker.